Thursday, December 31, 2009
I am not the biggest fan of New Year's Eve..I always feel people chase around a good time and then it's over before you know it. Some of the best New Year's Eves I have ever had were completely unexpected, plans made at the last minute. This year I will be spending the evening with very good friends ringing in the New Year at a fun party. Hope everyone has a safe and fabulous night!
Tuesday, December 29, 2009
Thursday evening, I headed over to a lovely party at my friend Ashley's Mother in Law's home. She had quite an unbelievable spread of food, including stone crabs-always a treat, and lots of champagne. This is little Avery's first Christmas, he was so entertained.
The dessert table was very tempting...I definitely hung around it for a bit..
Christmas morning, I headed down South to my brother's house where everyone was waiting for me to start opening gifts. My parents bought me a computer so I wasn't expecting much else, but they really surprised me and got me lots of goodies. You think I am kidding when I call them the "Inspectors" but after their initial visit on Wednesday, they must have headed to Bed, Bath and Beyond because my most fun gift was a hot pink dirt devil! It is so cute and I have been vacuuming away.
They also had a perfect blender (with very strong ice crushing abilities), an adorable needlepoing canvas that I loved and then I opened an adorable FINISHED needlepoint ornament that my Mom made, a Gator Santa. I think this is the only thing anyone has ever needlepointed for me! Love it.
I spent most of the afternoon watching my nephew go in circles on his horse, thankfully the weather was really nice. My niece was very busy counting all the gift cards she received, I think the total was 17! I guess when you ask for things, you have a much better chance of getting them, and that is certainly what she asked for!
Yesterday was Denie's birthday. We got together for lunch at Le Bouchon in the Grove, the best French bistro, and it was so much fun.
Now I am gearing up for New Year's...I don't have my plans firmed up yet, but am determined to start the new year more organized, focused on my business and finding a husband! :)
Saturday, December 26, 2009
Yesterday was so much fun. I spent the day with my family at my brother's house. We opened a million presents and then ate the most delicious dinner. Unbelievably, I was able to finagle bff Nicole and all three of her sisters to the movies. We saw "Nine" which wasn't as good as we hoped, but still entertaining.
Hope you had a Merry Christmas!
Friday, December 25, 2009
Thursday, December 24, 2009
Tuesday, December 22, 2009
Tiffany Scotty Charm for my bracelet
Botkier Logan Shopper in black
Cartier LOVE bracelet in gold. I would love this bracelet and a cute boy to buy it for me..a double gift!
An easy one..I am almost out of perfume.
There is more...maybe tomorrow I will finish my list. Hope everyone is having a fun week. xo
Sparkly Paper Angel from preschool. It has lasted a really long time..it must be the 1970's glitter keeping it together.
This pink and green doll is made with ribbon and a clothespin. It is from elementary school.
These pups were at Saks and I ended up buying 20 of them. My tree has little Millie's dangling from the branches each year.
One of my favorite needlepoint ornaments and on the left a felt tree that is super cute.
Another favorite needlepoint, a cute goldfish in water.
One more needlepoint ornament
This little dog looks like Millie running in the back yard. I know I am easily amused because it makes me laugh when I look at it.
My Grandmother used to make these beaded ornaments. I have a handful and they are all whimsical and very detailed.
I love this little hanging decoration. I tried a new stitch for the first time and
I finished it in record speed.
Thursday, December 17, 2009
I am holding it together, barely... here are some of my holiday updates.
1. My blackberry is back in action. When I took it to T-Mobile, all ready for a performance with tears to get a new phone, the cute guy behind the counter plugged it in for 20 minutes and what do you know??? It must have dried out and then I had let the battery run out. I felt so stupid, but the joy of my phone working outweighed any embarrassment on my part. So, the phone is back in action.
2. My shows are finished and I had my last big appointment a couple of days ago. Now I am just making jewels to fill orders. I came up with some new earrings yesterday, will post a pic, they are super cute and even I was a little surprised that I made them.
3. My apartment is one third decorated for Christmas. My tree is up, most of the lights are working ( I really hate the lights, one whole string won't light up and I have fiddled with every one of them Ugh!), most of the ornaments are up. My parents (aka The Inspectors) get in town on Tuesday and it needs to be in tip top shape so I don't have to hear about how messy it is.
4. In the midst of all of this, I hurt my back. I don't know how, but Tuesday afternoon all of the sudden, my lower back was killing me. I went to a Chiropractor yesterday and am going back today. Will see what he says. Back problems are not fun. I really, really feel for people with chronic back pain. It is truly horrible.
Lucky for me, the one comfortable position is on my couch where I make the jewels, so I have been able to catch up with orders. The one big downside is that my friend the Chiropractor cannot prescribe meds!!! It would be really convenient to marry a doctor.
5. I have 90% finished with Christmas shopping. It really is a relief to be almost done one week out. I have a couple of things to finish up, but basically done.
6. Vendors...many many thanks to my BFF vendors Hen and Barley Press, Paper and Ink Designs, Queen Bea and Dabney Lee. I have sold so many of their beautiful products and am thrilled with the positive responses I have been receiving. I am going to the Atlanta Gift Show in January and hope to see them there and find some new vendors to round out my assortment.
7. The website..well unfortunately, my beautiful website will not be up before the holidays, obviously. I took a long time to get my end of things together and it really isn't something you can do quickly, so hopefully in January I will have it finished.
8. I received my Elle Decor real magazine in the mail. Maybe they give you an online preview. I have to start reading the fine print on things...I really love that magazine but so miss Southern Accents.
That's all my updates for now. Hope you all are doing great and enjoying the holiday season!
Photo from www.marthastewart.com
Monday, December 14, 2009
I got an email today from Elle Decor saying my digital issue was ready to view. I just renewed my subscription for both Elles and I think I have made a mistake!! I need to hold a magazine in my hands to look at it, not sure I can get used to reading online. Maybe this is what the world is coming to..first music, now magazines??
By the way...my blackberry survivied and I am back in action. What a mess the whole situation was but so relieved it works now!
Thursday, December 10, 2009
A few minutes later, I put it back together and the screen lit up and then faded. Holy cow. I went up to my apartment and hit the computer...google told me to put the phone in a bag of rice, to absorb any moisture. I did that and sat back on my couch. On my coffee table, I noticed my very beat up old blackberry, which I never sent back to T-Mobile for a rebate. I have looked at that old blackberry so many times and wondered how I could have used such a beat up phone, so thankful for my pretty new one. So, I popped my sim card into the old one and it worked. Procrastinating sometimes has benefits.
Update for today: tried the phone this morning and now there is nothing. I am still in shock that such a small amount of diet coke would destroy my blackberry. I have to come up with a plan soon, I can't use this old one much longer. The rollerball-which was replaced twice sticks so badly, it is going to give me arthritis!
So, is this all an exercise in karma? I really should have stayed off the diet coke!
Wednesday, December 9, 2009
Should I feel bad that I treated myself to a box of books from Amazon during the holidays, when I should be shopping for others? I don't think so! I am almost done with my shopping and I can't stay off CoterieBooks and her Amazon store link. This round I got We Used to Own the Bronx, The Overnight Socialite, The Ex-Debutante and the Luxe Box Set. Maybe after Christmas I can start reading again!
Tuesday, December 8, 2009
My schedule got a little harried so I only made it on Sunday and got to walk around and see the unbelivable art and the fabulous people walking in and out of the galleries. This type of high end art attracts the most unusual people.
Here are some favorites...
I LOVED this..it would fit right in my apartment, but not in my budget.
Circle of food, very interesting
I thought this was cute, there was a series of men, I liked the fancy one.
This was a show stopper, hundreds of triangle mirrors on a curved large bowl. When you walked up, the result was so cool.
This display had tons of people staring and taking pictures..the second one from the left was made up entirely of dolls and toys and the last one on the right was all textiles, woven fabrics, felt and intricate swirls of embellishments.
I didn't know quite what to make of this, but it was an elaborate set up.
So bizarre, these two woman figures were held together with a bar taped onto each of their heads.
These three men's heads were moving and talking..very creepy
I was starting to think this couple was walking "art"
All in all, it was fantastic, so interesting and very fun people watching. Next year I will be making sure I get to more of the action.
Friday, December 4, 2009
After the show, I headed to work to tie up some loose ends for today. For our holiday party at work, I organized a shoebox drive for Seafarer's House. They collect wrapped shoeboxes filled with toiletries and basic necessities and give them to cargo ship workers and seaferers who are very far from home and, for many don't get anything for Christmas. Our 225 employees filled 1,000 shoeboxes today and it was so much work, but so much fun. It was a great team building exercise.
This weekend and next week, I have a bunch of good appointments for friends and customers to buy gifts. I need to make so much jewelry this weekend! So far this season, my best sellers have been:
Crystal Bracelets $50-the icy beige or bronze most popular
From Paper and Ink Designs, the fabulous coasters, set of 50 is $55 and the choices are plentiful.
The most adorable lunchboxes from Paper and Ink Designs...$34 each.
The cutest calendar from Dabney Lee at Home $25 and you can pick the monogram from these:
This awesome bag from Queen Bea Studio with seatbelt straps and monogram, $110.
The fabulous Dabney Lee Super Notepads $45 with many choices of paper and monograms.
Ordering deadlines are creeping up!